Popular Posts

Sunday, January 12, 2014

A WORD OF WARNING

We had a close call last night.
About 7:30 Patti started a fire in the fireplace, and I was in the other end of the house looking at guns online, when she screamed: 'the house is on fire, call 911.'
She called 911, and I went outside to hook up a water hose to fight the fire coming out of the top of the chimney.
It seems that the fire was inside the stack going out of the house, but it was flaming and sparks flying everywhere outside.
Travis County ESD #1 was here in about 8 minutes, and Patti and I got it out about the time they arrived.
5 fire trucks, about 15 firefighters, and 3 or 4 cops for traffic control, what a hell of a mess.
They checked everything out in the ceiling, and determined it was confined to the flu area, and did not penetrate into the wall, thank GOD.
We normally have the chimney sweep come out and clean every year, we forgot this year, so a lesson learned, when you change the batteries in your smoke detectors, have a chimney cleaning also.
The smoke detectors did their job too as an aside, they were still going off when the fire men, and ladies arrived.
We have a little smoke damage, but otherwise, just stink this morning.
Ya'll have a great Sunday, and because of things just like this, tell your family how important they are to you.

Suerte

8 comments:

  1. I use an insulated stainless steel flexible liner and I don't have to have it cleaned, the creosote doesn't stick as the steel heats up and stays hot. I would not use a ceramic liner without steel inside, they can be installed with regular tools and it isn't rocket science. Here is a link to just one of the companies that sell them:
    http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, I had to rely on professionals to repair, it's to high for me to be messing with, thanks for checking in as well.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad both Patti and yourself are well and that the damage was minimal. I still remember how both of your kids home caught on fire last year..

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MsB, we are to, it was a real scare. Yes that's all in the immediate family that had a house fire in the last year.

      Delete
  3. "7th Generation Texian" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/01/sites-to-see_17.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in Jerry, and for the link.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are safe and all is well ~ yes definitely clean the chimney ~ carol, xxx (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link and reply Carol.

      Delete