Popular Posts

Monday, May 5, 2014

The River Road

Going up the Rio Grande river road, you pass through a quaint little town called Lajitas, home to a golf course, and a getaway for the very wealthy. That being said, we knew we did not belong there, although before the whole town was bought out, and turned into a retreat, it was a really nice place to stay, right on the border. I remember when I was a kid, being at the trading post with my folks, and a Cessna airplane landed right in front of the place, and scared the heck out of the donkey's that were there at the time.

When the trading post was open back in the old days, you could really "trade" for things, saw it happen many times when I was a kid, Mexican Nationals trading sotol stalks, and chino grass for food and smokes.
This is a little rest stop on the river road, the Rio Grande is about 50 ft below it, and your in Mexico.
Now if you have the money to burn, you can stay here for about 325 a night, I would rather camp.....
I bring 911 with me where ever I go, so I don't want to pay that much for comfort and semi security, call me a penny pincher, but I just can't see that in the middle of no where.

That white gravel/ rock in this photo IS Mexico.

Ya'll have a great week, and count your blessings please.

Suerte

2 comments:

  1. It's sad the way they did the trading post. The first time I saw the apothecary in the ole trading post it amazed me. I remember seeing rattle snake powder and wondered what ailment it was used for. I sure miss the old Lajitas. I'll be out that way in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim I thought I was the only one to but that rattlesnake powder, and no, it didn't do much for me either!
    Yes, I miss the old days, and they say you can't go home, but man, I miss things like the trading post. I remember an old desert rat coming in there one day, and trading or buying scant supplies, and drinking a coke in a bottle and leaving going west with his donkey.
    Thanks for checking in.

    ReplyDelete